A man facing the possibility of being labeled a dangerous offender lost his bid Monday to withdraw his guilty plea in a child kidnapping case.

The conviction is the latest in Curtis Poburan’s history of crimes against children dating back to the 1990s.

Poburan, in his mid-50s, previously admitted to kidnapping a 10-year-old boy from a skate park in west Edmonton three years ago.

He also pleaded guilty to four other charges related to breaching a weapons ban with an imitation firearm, and breaching probation conditions that prohibited him from having contact with children or visiting places such as parks where children might be present .

But since the trial in December 2022, where he entered the pleas, he has fired his lawyer, and now he is representing himself.

The agreed statement of facts in the case outlines how Poburan befriended a boy at Callingwood Skate Park in January 2021. He showed him an airsoft gun and invited him to go shooting, which they did on a nearby baseball diamond.

According to the document, Poburan took the boy to a nearby smoke shop a few days later and bought him a grape-flavored vape. On January 12, two witnesses called police after hearing Poburan again offer to buy the boy a vape pen.

After Poburan was arrested, the agreed statement of facts says he outlined a scenario to police in which he could “foresee” renting a motel room and taking the boy there.

Poburan has been convicted in the past of other attempts to lure young boys from public places with the promise of recreational shooting.

His criminal record includes kidnapping a child in 2016, and he was sentenced to three years in prison in 1998 for sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching.

The designation of a dangerous offender is reserved for the most serious violent criminals and sexual predators. The Crown will call witnesses next week as part of submissions to label Poburan.

If the judge determines that Poburan is a dangerous offender, he could face an indefinite prison sentence.

Attempt to plead guilty

Poburan, wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, took the stand on Monday to tell King’s Bench Judge Doreen Sulyma that he wants to enter his guilty plea to the kidnapping charge, saying he disagreed at the time but in the end he did it anyway. be nice.”

Poburan was agitated as the hearing began, raising his voice and accusing Crown prosecutor Wendy Ekert of “contempt” as she described a recent assessment that found Poburan fit to stand trial.

He claimed he felt pressured to plead guilty, but did not agree to waive his attorney-client privilege with his former attorney so she could answer questions about the situation.

Poburan claimed he could not remember parts of the day in court when he entered his plea and an agreed statement of facts was read into the record. But during questioning by the Crown he acknowledged that he had signed the document.

Sulyma ultimately denied Poburan’s request to drop his plea.

“He was here in open court when he entered his pleas. (His former lawyer) is a qualified and well-known criminal lawyer in this city. an admission of guilt, she said.

“There is no objective evidence that would support the accusation now being made by Mr. Poburan.”